Minimum degree held
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
10-Social and Economic Sciences
OPENING DATE OF CALL: 20 October 2022
CLOSING DATE OF CALL: 15 February 2023
The Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO) is a non-profit, non-governmental international organization founded in 2018. Founding members include 37 scientific institutions, universities, and international organizations worldwide. ANSO aims to improve regional and global capacity in science and technology, human livelihoods and wellbeing, and to promote broader S&T cooperation and communication.
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) was formally launched in 2019 with the goal of training and cultivating young scientists from all over the world. The ANSO Scholarship supports 200 Master’s students and 300 PhD students every year to pursue postgraduate education at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) around China. Please find the full Call for the ANSO Scholarship here.
This year, a sub-category of the ANSO Scholarship: the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship is being officially launched. Echoing the priority of TWAS/UNESCO, special (not exclusive) consideration will be given to two target groups: Least Development Countries (LDCs) and women. Up to 40 PhD students from developing countries in the South will be selected by TWAS/UNESCO into this category every year.
CAS, the leading founding member of ANSO, is the major sponsor of the ANSO Scholarship. TWAS and UNESCO, both founding members of ANSO, provide part of the funding for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship awardees. ANSO welcomes all members and parties who are interested in creating a more diversified scholarship program together.
6,000 or 7,000 CNY/month (depending on whether the awardee has passed the qualification test arranged by the University), up to 48 months
|4.||Application fee waiver|
|5.||International travel allowance from awardee’s home country to China (one trip per awarded candidate)|
- CAS will cover items 1 to 4 and TWAS/UNESCO will cover items 5 and 6.
- The reimbursement/allowance standards and procedure for item 5 and item 6 will comply with TWAS/UNESCO rules and regulations.
- Any scholarship awardee on site in China, the host country, at the time of application will NOT be eligible for any travel subsidy.
All awardees are required to finish centralized training in Chinese language, Chinese culture and all required credits as well as practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of USTC/UCAS or CAS institutes.
Any PhD awardee who fails the qualification test or annual assessment will face the consequences including:
• Termination of his/her scholarship;
• Discontinuity of his/her doctoral study;
• Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
All the awardees are required to abide by Chinese laws and USTC/UCAS regulations and rules.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PHD SCHOLARSHIP:
- Eligible applicants should NOT hold Chinese citizenship;
- Eligible applicants must be nationals of eligible developing countries in the South (Developing Countries in the South | TWAS)
- Eligible applicants should be proficient in English or Chinese;
- For PhD program applicants: you should be born after 1st January 1988 (inclusive);
- Eligible applicants should meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Eligible applicants should NOT take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
- If the applicant is currently pursuing a doctoral degree at any university/institution in China, s/he will NOT be eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship. Otherwise, s/he will be disqualified from admission and the situation will be reported to the current university/institution
You are NOT allowed to apply for the ANSO Scholarship in both USTC and UCAS simultaneously, otherwise you will be disqualified from admission.
The 2023 ANSO Scholarship is open for application on 20th October 2022 (The exact dates might be slightly different for USTC and UCAS, please check their websites for details).
Deadline for Applicants and Referees: 15 February 2023 (Beijing Time)
1. Application Materials
- For USTC applicants, please refer to Application Guideline for Graduate Applicants to USTC (here)
- For UCAS applicants, please refer to the Call for 2023 Doctoral Programs for International Students and the Call for 2023 Master’s Programs for International Students (here)
Website link: https://twas.org/opportunity/anso-cas-twasunesco-phd-scholarship