This program refers to the Common General Rules (CGR) of the Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ). These rules apply to all FRQ funding offers. Only the specific requirements for this program are indicated in this document and take precedence over the CGR.
The scholarships granted by the Fonds de recherche du Québec aim to:
- help support new generations of students in a range of research sectors:
- natural sciences, mathematics sciences and engineering (FRQNT)
- human health (FRQS)
- humanities, social sciences, art and literature (FRQSC)
- spark the interest of new generations of students in research
- support research excellence by providing financial assistance to the best students as they undertake or pursue a master’s research program.
This particular program is designed to help citizens of other countries who hold a doctorate (Ph.D.) to further their training and broaden their interests. It is also intended to encourage these researchers to learn about new scientific environments, new research methodologies, research project management and student leadership skills, and communication skills. The FRQS expects the internship supervisor to act as a mentor in the development of the candidate’s future academic career.
The postdoctoral scholarship is valued at $45,000/year.
The maximum amount is six (6) payments totalling $90,000.
Awardees who carry out their postdoctoral studies outside Québec will receive a supplemental amount of $10,000 per year.
Fellows may apply for a renewal in the same competition for a subsequent year if they wish to extend their postdoctoral fellowship award by one year. An additional year’s award of $45,000 may be granted following the evaluation. See the following section “Renewal” for more details.
Awardees may submit a renewal application to the same program for a subsequent year if they wish to extend their postdoctoral fellowship award by one year. An additional year’s award of $45,000 may be granted following the evaluation of the application.
The renewal application is made on the same form and according to the same schedule as the initial application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to apply at the right time, considering that the deadline for application is in October of each year, that the results come out in May, and that the scholarship must begin within one year of the results being announced. Proper planning can eventually ensure that the applicant has access to an award without interruption.
Applicants must submit their renewal application to the same program for which they currently receive funding, even if they have obtained permanent resident status or Canadian citizenship since the start of the tenure of the award.
Awards may only be renewed once.
Awardees who have received three (3) or more years of postdoctoral training awards since the initial FRQS award, regardless of the funding agency, are not eligible for renewed funding.
- Applicants must have completed a doctorate less than two (2) years prior to the competition deadline or intend to submit their doctoral thesis before March 1, 2024 (except for renewal applications).
- Applicants who apply to the FRQS are eligible to receive scholarship payments for a period of six (6) semesters or until the end of the program for which the scholarship is sought, whichever comes first.
Website link: https://frq.gouv.qc.ca/en/program/postdoctoral-training-scholarships-citizens-of-other-countries-2023-2024/#eligibility